PEST CONTROL SERVICES FOR RESTAURANTS
Pest infestations are a common occurrence in the restaurant industry and pose a major risk to food safety since they can lead to poor health inspections scores and even a shutdown. Besides, pests can damage your reputation. Guests who see pests in your restaurant are unlikely to return and will tell their friends and family or will leave a review about their “disgusting experience”.
The following are some common pests that may cause an infestation in your restaurant:
Rodents are known disease carriers, which could cause a health issue to your customers. Rodents spread germs by defecating and crawling on surfaces used to prepare food. Besides, they chew through wires causing an electrical fire hazard and can even chew through containers and bags used to store dry goods, making them available to insects.
Click here for more information about rodents.
Flies eat by regurgitating their stomach contents onto surfaces and sucking up their bacteria infested vomit, carrying bacteria and dropping germs on countertops or anywhere they land, contaminating food, which could cause different health issues to your customers. It is very important to take action when a fly issue is noticed, since flies reproduce rapidly and are hard to control once they gain entry due to their flying ability.
Click here for more information about flies.
Sightseeing cockroaches is enough to disgust customers and can also spread germs to your customer’s food, causing serious food-borne illness. Small amounts of grease and water are enough to persistently sustain a cockroach infestation. This is a very resilient pest, they can survive weeks after you have eliminated the source of food.
Click here for more information about cockroaches.
Even though these pests can be present in any area of your restaurant, there are some that are more vulnerable. The following are some of them:
If waste disposal isn’t handled properly, outdoor dumpster areas are an open invitation to pests and they can easily move into the restaurant itself, especially if you leave the door open.
- Drains and cleaning supply storage areas
Moisture areas are perfect breeding areas for some pests, especially for ground flies. Flies feed on any food left in drains and cleaning supply storage areas, and it is just a matter of time to start not only feeding but breeding. Before you know it, you’re restaurant will be taken over by flying pests.
Proper food storage is very important, since open food containers can attract pests. Dry storage facilities and the main kitchen are especially under risk of an infestation, pests looking for treats can be easily attracted to these areas.
TIPS FOR RESTAURANT OWNERS AND MANAGERS
The best pest control method is to never let them in, in the first place. The following tips will help you make your restaurant less attractive for pests:
- Keep drains clear and free of organic matter.
- Store mops and hoses away from food preparation areas.
- Seal up any entryways for pests to get in using expanding foam
- Keep dry storage areas and kitchen clean and tidy, clean all grease and grime nightly.
- Thoroughly sweep and mop to remove all crumbs and food debris in all areas of your restaurant.
- Wipe up spills and splashes from walls and surfaces
- Never leave out food prep containers without an air-tight seal.
- Wash all dishes, pots, pans, etc.
- Keep doors and windows closed so they can’t sneak in.
- Dispose of expired food before it becomes rotten.
- Make sure all bags are sealed before being thrown away in the dumpster, clean garbage receptacles where bags have leaked.
- Firmly close dumpster lids when they aren’t in use and clean additional food debris from the dumpster area.
- Take out all the trash every night. The key to keeping your restaurant pest free is removing all food sources that pests can feed on.
Restaurant pests should be taken seriously and not be left unattended. E&G Pest Solutions offers Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to take care and prevent pests from invading your restaurant. Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is a sustainable, science-based, decision-making process that combines biological, cultural, physical and chemical tools to identify, manage and reduce risk from pests and pest management tools and strategies in a way that minimizes overall economic, health and environmental risks (National IPM Roadmap).
When it comes to pest control of restaurants and stored food products, we do not use insecticides as those would make the food toxic to humans. Our process is to simply locate the infestation and discard the food.
Here is how to proceed to get IPM service for your restaurant:
- Schedule an appointment with E&G Pest solutions for a FREE-NON OBLIGATION ESTIMATE. Our representative will proceed with a detailed inspection identifying the source of your problem or potential infestation conditions.
- E&G Pest Solutions will put together a plan according to the needs of your restaurant in order to treat and prevent pests from taking place in your food warehouse.
- Once you acquire our services, we will provide the treatments in a regular basis. If you don’t see any active pests we will still visit your location for regular inspections to make sure there are no potential infestation conditions and prevent them from becoming a bigger problem.
We also provide commercial services for:
- Food Warehouses
- Elderly and healthcare facilities
- Non-Food Warehouses
- Office buildings
- Bed Bugs